Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My Current "Writing Rut" - the Lede

One of my more recent problems that I have been having with my writing lately is creating better ledes. A lede is the opening sentence of a news story or article. In older writing times, lede was spelled "lead" (as in the lead sentence of the story) but was often pronounced wrong, which is why the spelling was changed to "lede".

Apparently, I had fallen into a lede writing rut, which I could tell was happening, but wasn't sure how to fix. Fortunately, my writing coach, Emily Esterson (www.emilyesterson.com), who has been a great help to me in the past few months since I started working with her, pointed out that I was falling into this writing rut, and gave me some advice on how to fix my ruts. I won't share her exact advice - you will have to hire her yourself for that. And since I am in a current "rut" myself, when it comes to writing ledes, I have included some links to other blogs that may be able to give you some further insight on how to write a better lede:

The Lede: Starting Your Article


Writing the Four Graph Lede

Flashlight Lede: The Lede Take 3


In the meantime, wish me luck with my writer's rut! Also, stay tuned for some future interviews with Emily Esterson, who is currently coaching me as a writer, and Linda Formichelli, author of The Renegade Writer: A Totally Unconventional Guide to Freelance Success and The Renegade Writer's Query Letters That Rock: The Freelance Writer's Guide to Selling More Work Faster...

No comments:

Post a Comment