Saturday, December 20, 2008

A Few of My Favorite Things

When I was just starting out as a writer (which wasn't too long ago), I began my journey by taking out as many books from the library and buying whichever ones they didn't have. I wanted to develop my skill in the craft of writing as much as possible, as well as learn how to get published. Some of these books were very helpful, and some not so much. To help you weed out the good from the bad, here are is a list of some of my favorite books:

1. Six Figure Freelancing by Kelly James-Enger
What I enjoyed most about this book is the fact that James-Enger looks at freelancing from a business perspective, showing you how to create more opportunities for making money, and how to make the most of your time. This book is a must for anyone who wants to become a full-time freelancer without having to constantly worry about their income.

2. The Renegade Writer: A Totally Unconventional Guide to Freelance Writing Success by Diana Burrell and Linda Formichelli
Another important piece of literature for anyone in the industry. It includes information on how to pitch to an editor and get them to respond to you, as well as how to get paid more, create more money making ideas, etc., etc. I call this my freelance bible: whenever I have a question or problem about writing, I turn to this book. I usually take the book out every few months for inspiration, especially if my freelance writing slows down.

3. The Writer's Market
This book is a must for anyone trying to break into writing at all, looking to break into a new magazine, or write a book. At the beginning of the book are anecdotes and advice from professionals in the industry on how they broke into writing, whether for magazines, books or newspapers. It lists every major publication in the U.S., Canada, and beyond, and explains what to pitch/what not to pitch to editors at each publication. It also divulges how much each publication pays and the percentage of freelancers that write for them. There's also a listing of literary agents and book publishers for those interested in writing books.

4. On Writing Well by William Zinsser
Although this book put me to sleep countless times while reading it (I found the writing style very dry), Zinsser offers great advice on how to become better at the craft of writing, and how to edit a piece by cutting it down and fact checking before submitting to an editor.

Coming Attractions: Next time I will discuss how to become more business savvy with your writing services.

No comments:

Post a Comment